Saturday 2 March 2013

A little background info....

I have suffered with the debilitating stomach condition gastroparesis (stomach paralysis) for 15 years. For the last 9 years my symptoms have been successfully managed by a gastric pacer - I was one of the first in the UK to get one of these implants and it changed my life.
Yesterday I was told that the pacer battery was low and that I need to have it replaced. This is not as simple as it sounds as I now have to reapply for NHS funding - the last time this took 18 months!!!
My symptoms are likely to return with a vengence so as you can imagine I have viewed this news with some trepidation!
As there have not been many replacement pacer cases in the UK so far, I will be using this blog to chart my progress through the funding process and subsequent surgery process to help others who face this in the future. So keep an eye on developments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this blog - I hope you have found it informative.
Please help spread awareness of gastroparesis by visiting, 'liking' & sharing the GPUK page at http://www.facebook.com/GastroParesisUK